New today from the Century:
- Beth Felker Jones on New Girl: "Our culture tells young adults to resist adulthood with all their might. New Girl portrays characters who want something more." (subscription required)
- Steven Porter on dishwashing and the will to power
- Edward Blum on Devon Carbado and Donald Weise's collection of runaway slave narratives, which are "as moving as any story by Suzanne Collins or J.R.R. Tolkien."
- Joanna Harder on Creflo Dollar, Cindy Crawford and salvation
- "For shadowment: Villanelle for the solstice," a poem by Angela Alaimo O'Donnell