Küng warns against total condemnation of church over sexual abuse scandal
"A bad generalization"
Jun 01, 2010
Vatican critic Hans Küng has warned against “condemning the church and its priests wholesale” for the current spate of sexual abuse allegations. “It would be a bad generalization to place the whole clergy and Catholic Church under suspicion,” the Roman Catholic priest said in an interview with the European, a Berlin-based online news service.
The Swiss-born theologian, 83, was speaking two weeks after criticizing the pope in an “open letter” to Roman Catholic bishops worldwide in which he said Benedict’s papacy had “failed.”
In the letter, Küng said there had been a “worldwide system of covering up cases of [clergy] sexual crimes” on the part of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which was led by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger before he became Pope Benedict XVI in 2005.
But in the online interview posted April 27, Küng described as “complete nonsense” claims that the present pope is “the worst for centuries.”