New today from the Century:
Jesse James DeConto on school integration in North Carolina: "Years before Brown v. Board, the North Carolina Council of Churches fought for integrated schools. Almost 75 years later, the council mobilized again for the same cause." (subscription required)
- DeConto profiles William Barber, head of the NAACP of North Carolina: "William Barber has a way of getting people arrested. Since he took charge of the NAACP in North Carolina, he's been inspiring followers—black and white—to engage in acts of civil disobedience." (subscription required)
- James Sledge on upsetting parishioners by preaching the gospel: "I've concluded that these people were not really upset with me. They were upset with what Jesus or Paul or some prophet had said, but directing their anger at me was much less problematic than being angry with Jesus, Paul, or the prophets."
- "A small poem," a small poem by Brian Doyle
- Nun on verge of becoming Hawaii's second saint
- Why do we spend money on happiness we can't afford?
- Poll suggests believers can be swayed on nukes, environment
- GOP candidates make pitch to Jewish voters
- African priest's "miracle cure" stirs debate about HIV/AIDS treatment
- Israelis, resentful of Orthodox grip on society, fight back